Tanganyika Victoria Memorial Institute Act, 1929
- Commenced on 27 November 1929
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Tanganyika Victoria Memorial Institute Act.
2. Building to be known as the Tanganyika Victoria Memorial InstituteThe building (hereinafter referred to as "the Institute") erected at Mbala by public subscription to the memory of Her late Most Gracious Britannic Majesty Queen Victoria, shall continue to be known as "The Tanganyika Victoria Memorial Institute" and may be used as a Library, Museum, and Sports and Social Club.
3. Trustee of Institute and vesting of land and buildingThe Institute together with the land being subdivision No. T56 in the Mbala Township in extent 0.4626864 of an hectre and on a portion of which said land the same has been erected shall be vested in a trustee in trust for the people of the Mbala, Isoka and Mporokoso Districts to be used for the purposes mentioned in section two. The District Secretary for the time being of the Mbala District shall be such trustee and is hereinafter referred to as "the trustee".[As amended by Nos. 8 and 15 of 1934]
4. Articles and property of Institute vested in CommitteeAll movable property or articles of whatever nature now belonging to the Institute or now kept therein are hereby vested in the Committee of Management hereinafter mentioned.
5. Existing membersThe subscribers to the fund for the erection of the Institute and all persons who are members of the Institute at the commencement of this Act shall be deemed to be members of the Institute as hereby constituted.
6. Committee of ManagementThe general direction and management of the Institute shall be entrusted to a Committee of Management (hereinafter referred to as "the Committee") consisting of seven members of whom one shall be the trustee or some person from time to time nominated by him, and the remainder shall be elected by the members.
7. Duration of office of CommitteeThe members of the Committee, other than the trustee or the person from time to time nominated by him, shall hold office for one year and shall be eligible for re-election by the members.
8. First election of CommitteeThe first election of the members of the Committee shall take place on such day in April, 1930, in the Institute or at such other place at Mbala as the Committee may appoint and thereafter on such day in April of every year and at such place at Mbala as the Committee may appoint.
9. Appointment of provisional CommitteeUntil such election in the year 1930 as is mentioned in the last preceding section takes place, the Committee shall consist of the trustee and of such other persons not exceeding six as the trustee may nominate.
10. Chairman of and powers and duties of CommitteeThe Committee shall elect one of their members as chairman who besides an original vote shall have a casting vote. Four members of the Committee shall form a quorum. In the event of the decease, resignation or incapacity to serve on the Committee of one or more members of the Committee, the Committee shall have the power to appoint some suitable person or persons to the vacancy or vacancies caused thereby. The Committee shall have power—
11. Maintenance of InstituteIt shall be the duty of the Committee to maintain and keep the Institute in good repair and condition out of the moneys received by them on behalf thereof and to insure and keep the building insured against damage by fire in such an amount and in such insurance office as the trustee may approve. Within one month of the 31st March of every year the Committee shall make such provision as the trustee may think necessary for the maintenance and repair of the building during the ensuing year.
12. Damage by fireIn the event of the Institute being destroyed or damaged by fire, the Committee shall apply all moneys received by them by virtue of any such insurance as is mentioned in the last preceding section in rebuilding or reinstating the Institute.
13. Bank account and investment of fundsAll moneys received on behalf of the Institute shall be paid to the credit therof into such bank as the Committee may from time to time appoint and it shall be lawful for the Committee to invest such part of such moneys as may not be required for immediate use.
14. AccountsThe accounts of the Institute shall be made up to the 31st March in each year by the treasurer or secretary, as the case may be, and shall be duly audited by a competent auditor.
15. Exemption from ratesNotwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any written law, the Institute shall be exempted from the payment of all municipal rates and taxes.
16. Legal proceedings and service of processIn any legal proceedings instituted by or against the Institute it shall be lawful to do so by the style or description of "The Committee of the Tanganyika Victoria Memorial Institute" and the service of all legal process shall be effected on the secretary.
History of this document
27 November 1929