Agricultural Products Levy Act, 1957
- Commenced on 1 October 1957
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Agricultural Products Levy Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"agricultural product" means—(a)dry maize on or off the cob, milk and butterfat; and(b)any other animal or thing whatsoever declared to be an agricultural product in terms of subsection (1) of section five;"animal" includes the carcass or any portion of the carcass of any animal;"class", in relation to an agricultural product, includes grade, quality, standard and type;"dealer" includes—(a)an auctioneer, broker, purchaser, seller or exporter of an agricultural product or class of agricultural product and a person engaged in a trade or industry in which an agricultural product or class of agricultural product is utilised or treated;(b)a market master and a local authority;(c)a statutory board, organisation, society, association or like body in or to which an agricultural product or class of agricultural product is vested or surrendered;and cognate expressions shall be construed by reference, inter alia, to transactions or operations such as are carried on by persons referred to in paragraph (a);"marketing or levy law", in relation to an agricultural product or class of agricultural product, means any written law relating to the marketing of the agricultural product or class of agricultural product or providing for the imposition of a levy on the agricultural product or class of agricultural product, but does not include this Act;"producer" means a person who, by himself or by means of his agents or servants, produces an agricultural product and "produced" shall be construed accordingly;"producers' association", in relation to an agricultural product, means the Zambia National Farmers' Union or, if the Minister is satisfied that some other association of persons adequately represents producers of the agricultural product, that other association;"sell" includes to exchange or dispose of for any valuable consideration and "purchaser" and "seller" shall be construed accordingly.[As amended by S.I. No. 176 of 1965]
3. ApplicationThe provisions of this Act shall not apply—
4. Levies on agricultural products
5. Declaration of agricultural products
6. Withdrawal or suspension of levyThe Minister may at any time, by statutory order—
7. Establishment of levy accountsOn the date the rate of a levy on an agricultural product or class of agricultural product is first prescribed in terms of this Act, there shall be established in respect thereof a special account, to be described by reference to the name of the agricultural product or class of agricultural product, into which shall be paid the proceeds of the levy thereon and any moneys granted for the purpose of promoting the interests of producers of the agricultural product or class of agricultural product by any person or authority which the person or authority directs shall be payable to the account and any moneys payable to the account by virtue of the provisions of any written law.[As amended by S.I. No. 176 of 1965]
8. Object of leviesThe funds of each levy account established in terms of section seven shall be applied to objects calculated to promote generally the interests of producers of the particular agricultural product or class of agricultural product in respect of which the account relates.
9. Disposal of levies
10. Audit of accounts of producers' association
11. Regulatory powers of Minister
12. Amendment of forms, returns and subsidiary legislation prescribed under marketing or levy laws
13. Offences and penalties
14. Recovery of levies dueThe Minister may, by civil action in a competent court, recover the amount of a levy on an agricultural product or class of agricultural product which is due in terms of this Act from a producer or, as the case may be, from a person required in terms of this Act to collect and remit the levy to the Permanent Secretary.[As amended by S.I. No. 176 of 1965]
15. Legal costs of MinisterAny costs payable by the Minister in an action referred to in paragraph (a) of subsection (4) of section ten or in section fourteen may be paid from the funds in the levy account relating to the moneys in respect of which the action is brought.
History of this document
01 October 1957