This Act was repealed on 2010-08-16 by Cattle Slaughter (Control) (Repeal) Act, 2010.
Cattle Slaughter (Control) Act, 1959
- Commenced on 30 July 1948
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
- [Repealed by Cattle Slaughter (Control) (Repeal) Act, 2010 (Act 31 of 2010) on 16 August 2010]
1. Short title and applicationThis Act may be cited as the Cattle Slaughter (Control) Act, and shall apply to such areas in Zambia, and to such types or classes of cattle, as the Minister may, by statutory notice, direct.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"cattle" means bovines;"immature cattle" means cattle, male or female, under the age of three years, or not having eight permanent incisor teeth yet erupted;"inspector" means any Veterinary Officer, Livestock Officer or other person authorised by the Director of Veterinary Services to inspect cattle for the purposes of this Act;"permit" means written permission issued in accordance with section three.[As amended by No. 45 of 1957]
3. Grant of permit for cattle slaughterWhere an inspector is satisfied that it is necessary or desirable in the public interest to do so, he may grant a permit to any person authorising the slaughter of such number of immature cattle or female cattle under the age of ten years as he may specify thereon.[No. 13 of 1966]
4. Restriction on slaughter of certain cattle
5. Inspector's powers of entryFor the purposes of this Act, any inspector may at all reasonable times enter any land or premises where cattle are kept for slaughter or offered for sale, and any abattoir or slaughter-house or other place where cattle are slaughtered, and may inspect any cattle or carcasses found therein, and may issue an order forbidding the slaughter of any cattle and may seize and remove any carcass or part of any carcass which would afford evidence of a contravention of this Act.
6. ReviewAny person aggrieved by a refusal of an inspector to grant a permit may ask that the decision be reviewed by the Minister, whose decision shall be final.[As amended by No. 13 of 1966]
7. PenaltiesAny person who contravenes any of the provisions of this Act shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding three thousand penalty units or, in default of payment, to imprisonment with or without hard labour for any period not exceeding six months, or to both.[As amended by Act No. 13 of 1994]
History of this document
16 August 2010
Repealed by Cattle Slaughter (Control) (Repeal) Act, 2010
31 December 1996 this version
01 February 1960
30 July 1948
|Cattle Slaughter (Control) Act (Application) Order, 1981||Statutory Instrument 44 of 1981|