Professional Boxing and Wrestling Control Act, 1961
- Commenced on 1 October 1962
- [This is the version of this document as it was at 31 December 1996 to 15 August 2010.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Professional Boxing and Wrestling Control Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Board" means—(a)with reference to matters affecting boxers or boxing, the Board established by paragraph (a) of section three;(b)with reference to matters affecting wrestlers or wrestling, the Board established by paragraph (b) of section three;"boxer" means a person who engages in boxing for gain;"manager" means any person to whom a certificate of registration has been issued under subsection (1) (c) (ii) of section nine;"official" means any referee, judge, timekeeper, assistant timekeeper, announcer, second or ringmaster to whom a certificate as such has been issued under subsection (1) (c) (i) of section nine;"promoter" means any person to whom a certificate of registration as a promoter has been issued under subsection (1) (c) (iii) of section nine;"tournament" means any function to which members of the public have access, whether on payment of a charge for admission or not, and at which two or more persons engage in boxing or wrestling for gain, whether by way of competition, exhibition or otherwise;"wrestler" means a person who engages in wrestling for gain.
3. Establishment of Zambia Professional Boxing Control Board and Zambia Professional Wrestling Control BoardThere is hereby established—
4. Objects of BoardThe objects of the Board are to regulate, control and exercise general supervision over professional boxing or wrestling at tournaments in Zambia with a view to the elimination of undesirable practices and the protection of the interests of boxers, wrestlers, promoters, officials and the public generally.
5. Constitution of BoardThe Board shall consist of five members appointed by the Minister of whom one shall be designated by the Minister as chairman.
6. Tenure of office, vacancies and remuneration of members of Board
7. Meetings and quorum
8. Application for registrationAny person who desires to be registered as a boxer, wrestler, official, manager or promoter under this Act shall make application in writing to the Board in the prescribed form and manner.
9. Powers of Board
11. Funds of Board
12. Annual report and financial statement
13. Tournaments to be authorisedNo person shall hold or assist in holding any tournament unless the holding of the tournament has been authorised by a licence issued under paragraph (f) of subsection (1) of section nine and unless the tournament is held in accordance with any conditions imposed by the Board under that paragraph.
14. Boxers, wrestlers, officials, managers and promoters to be registeredNo person shall—
15. Boxing or wrestling contests or exhibitions may be stopped or forbidden
16. Offences and penaltiesAny person who—
History of this document
16 August 2010 amendment not yet applied
31 December 1996 this version
01 October 1962
|Professional Boxing Control (Amendment) Regulations, 1991||Statutory Instrument 41 of 1991|
|Professional Boxing and Wrestling Control (Insurance) Regulations, 1984||Statutory Instrument 2 of 1984|
|Professional Wrestling Control (Amendment) Regulations, 1991||Statutory Instrument 5 of 1991|