National Registration Act, 1964
- Commenced on 3 July 1964
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the National Registration Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Chief Registrar" means the person appointed as such in pursuance of the provisions of section four;"registered person" means a person registered under the provisions of section six;"specified area" means an area declared as such by the Chief Registrar in accordance with the provisions of section six.
3. ApplicationThis Act shall apply to all persons who at the commencement have attained, or thereafter attain, the age of sixteen years, or who at such commencement or thereafter are of an apparent age of sixteen years or more and who are within a specified area:Provided that this Act shall not apply to—
4. Appointment of Chief Registrar and staffThere shall be a Chief Registrar and such registrars and other public officers as may be necessary for the carrying out of the provisions of this Act.
7. Power to require proof of informationA registrar may require any person giving any information in pursuance of this Act to furnish such documentary or other evidence of the truth of such information as is within the power of such person to furnish.
8. Issue of national registration cards
9. Replacement of national registration cards
10. Production and inspection of national registration cards
11. Proof of exemptionWhere any person claims that this Act does not apply to him, the burden of proving the same shall lie upon such person.
12. EvidenceAny document purporting to be a certificate signed by the Chief Registrar, or any officer authorised by him in writing, certifying a copy or extract of any record kept by the Chief Registrar under this Act shall, in any proceedings for an offence under this Act, be prima facie evidence of the facts stated therein, and, if stated to be signed by an officer authorised by the Chief Registrar shall, unless the contrary be proved, be deemed to be signed by the officer so authorised without production or proof of such authorisation.
13. Offences and penalties
14. RegulationsThe Minister may, by statutory instrument, make regulations-
History of this document
03 July 1964
|National Registration (Amendment) Regulations, 2021||Statutory Instrument 80 of 2021|
|National Registration (Amendments) Regulations, 1982||Statutory Instrument 6 of 1982|