Refugees (Control) Act, 1970
- Commenced on 4 September 1970
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Refugees (Control) Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"authorised" means authorised by the Minister;"authorised officer" means the Commissioner and includes a refugee officer, an authorised police officer, an authorised officer of the Zambia Prisons Service or of the Defence Force, and any public officer for the time being designated by the Minister as an authorised officer;"Commissioner" means the person for the time being holding or acting in the public office of Commissioner for Refugees;"prescribed" means prescribed by the Minister;"reception area" means an area declared as such under section four;"refugee" means a person belonging to a class of persons to whom a declaration under section three applies;"refugee officer" means any person for the time being holding or acting in the public office of refugee officer;"refugee settlement" means a refugee settlement established under section four.
3. Declaration of refugees
4. Reception areas and refugee settlements
5. Places of entry or departure
6. Registration of refugees and identity cards
7. Restriction on possession of firearms, weapons, etc., by refugees
8. Detention and slaughter of animals
9. Use of vehicles
10. Deportation of refugees
11. Permits to remain in Zambia
12. Requirement to reside in reception area or refugee settlement
13. Control of refugee settlements
14. Restrictions relating to refugee settlements
15. Offences and penalties
16. Arrest and use of force
17. Protection of officersNo act or thing done or omitted to be done by any authorised officer or other person shall, if the act or omission was done or omitted bona fide while acting in the execution of his duty under this Act, subject him personally to any liability, action, claim or demand whatsoever.
18. Manner of publishing rules, orders, etc.
History of this document
04 September 1970