- Is amended by Tropical Diseases Research Centre (Amendment) Act, 2021
- Is commenced by Tropical Diseases Research Centre Act (Commencement) Order, 1984
Tropical Diseases Research Centre Act, 1982
- Commenced on 1 April 1984 by Tropical Diseases Research Centre Act (Commencement) Order, 1984
- [This is the version of this document as it was at 31 December 1996 to 23 March 2021.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Tropical Diseases Research Centre Act. The Minister, under Statutory Instrument No. 39 of 1984 appointed 1st April, 1984 as the date on which this Act comes into operation. The Minister may, by statutory instrument appoint:
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Board" means the Tropical Diseases Research Board established by section four;"Centre" means the Tropical Diseases Research Centre constituted under section three;"Chairman" means the person designated Chairman of the Board by section five;"Deputy Director" means the person appointed Deputy Director of the Board under section twelve;"Director" means the person appointed Director of the Board under section twelve;"member" means a member of the Board;"Secretary" means the person appointed Secretary of the Board under section thirteen;"Vice-Chairman" means the person designated Vice-Chairman of the Board under section five.
Part II – Tropical Diseases Research Centre
3. Tropical Diseases Research Centre
4. Establishment of BoardThere is hereby established the Tropical Diseases Research Board which shall be a body corporate with prepetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and of being sued in its corporate name, and with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to do all such acts and things as a body corporate may be law do or perform.
5. Composition of Board
6. Functions of Board
7. Proceedings of Board
8. Seal of Board
9. Committees of Board
10. Disclosure of interest
11. Immunity of membersNo action or other proceedings shall lie or be instituted against any member for or in respect of any act or thing done or omitted to be done in good faith in the exercise or purported exercise of his functions under this Act.
Part III – Administration
12. Director and Deputy Director
13. Secretary and other staff
14. Rights of Board in discoveries by its employees, etc.Where in the course of his duties an employee of the Board makes any discovery, invention or improvement, the Board shall be deemed to be the owner for all purposes of the rights therein.
15. Prohibition of publication or disclosure of information to unathorised persons
Part IV – Financial and other provisions
16. Funds of Board
17. Financial yearThe financial year of the Board shall be the period of twelve months ending on the 31st December in each year.
18. AccountsThe Board shall cause to be kept proper books of accounts and other records relating to its accounts.
19. Annual report
20. RegulationsThe Minister may, by statutory instrument, make regulations for the better carrying out of the purposes of this Act.
History of this document
24 March 2021 amendment not yet applied
31 December 1996 this version