Zambezi River Authority Act, 1987
- Commenced on 24 September 1987
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
1. Short title
2. InterpretationIn this Act unless the context otherwise requires—"Agreement" means the agreement between the Republic of Zambia and the Republic of Zimbabwe relating to the utilisation of the Zambezi River, which agreement is set out in the Schedule;"appointed date" means the date appointed by the Minister under section one as the date of commencement of this Act;"assets" includes rights of any description;"Authority" means the Zambezi River Authority continued in existence by section four;"Corporation" means the Central African Power Corporation constituted by section thirty-six of the Order in Council."Council" means the Council of Ministers continued in existence by section three;"Higher Authority for Power" means the Higher Authority for Power constituted by section thirty-three of the Order in Council;"National Electricity Undertakings" means the Zambia Electricity Supply Corporation and the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority and includes any successor organisation and references to a National Electricity Undertaking shall be construed accordingly;"obligations" includes obligations of any description, whether statutory, contractual, delictual or otherwise;"Order in Council" means the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland (Dissolution) Order in Council, 1963, of the United Kingdom;"the two states" means the Republic of Zambia and the Republic of Zimbabwe and reference to a state shall be construed accordingly.
3. Council of Ministers
4. Zambezi River Authority
5. References to Higher Authority for Power and to Corporation in written law or other documents
6. Transfer of employeesThe Authority shall in accordance with Article 29 of the Agreement, transfer or take such steps as are necessary to effect the transfer of such of its employees as may be appropriate in order to give effect to that Article.
7. Transfer of assets, liabilities and obligations
8. Laying of annual reports of Authority before National AssemblyThe Minister shall lay a copy of each annual report of the Authority before the National Assembly within thirty days after receiving it:Provided that, if by reason of the prorogation or dissolution of Parliament, this section cannot be complied with within the stipulated time, the Minister shall lay the annual report before the National Assembly within thirty days after the date on which the National Assembly first meets.
9. Limitation of liability of Authority and its officialsNo action, whether civil or criminal shall lie against the Authority, its Board members, employees or agents in respect of anything done in good faith and without negligence in accordance with the provisions of the Agreement or this Act:Provided that the protection from liability afforded by this section shall not have the effect of preventing any person from obtaining redress in a court of competent jurisdiction for any breach of contract.
10. Repeal of Part III of Order in Council and of Cap. 812 of the old edition
11. Savings and transitions
History of this document
31 December 1996 this version
24 September 1987
|Zambezi River Authority (Terms and Conditions of Service) (Amendment) By-Laws, 2022||Statutory Instrument 58 of 2022|
|Zambezi River Authority (Terms and Conditions of Service) (Amendment) By-laws, 2023||Statutory Instrument 18 of 2023|
|Zambezi River Authority (Terms and Conditions of Service) By-laws, 1995||Statutory Instrument 2 of 1995|
|Zambezi River Authority Terms and Conditions of Service By-laws, 1989||Statutory Instrument 1 of 1989|