Sports Council of Zambia Act, 1988
- Commenced on 30 December 1988
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Sports Council of Zambia Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"associate body" means an associate body of the Council, referred to in section eleven;"association" includes a national sports association, a branch of club of such an association, or a body affiliated to that association;"Board" means the Executive Board of the Council constituted under section sixteen;"Chairman" means the person appointed Chairman of the Council under section five;"Council" means the Sports Council of Zambia established by section three;"Director" means the person appointed Director of the Council under section seventeen;"member" means a member of the Council;"national sports association" means an association registered under section twenty-three;"Secretary" means the Secretary of the Council, appointed under section eighteen;"Vice-Chairman" means the person elected Vice-Chairman of the Council, under section five.
Part II – Sports Council of Zambia
3. Establishment of CouncilThere is hereby established the Sports Council of Zambia which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and which shall be capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name, and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of doing or performing any act or thing that a body corporate may by law do or perform.
4. Seal of Council
5. Composition of CouncilThe Council shall consist of—
6. Tenure of office
7. Removal of membersNotwithstanding section six, the Council may at any time, remove any member, other than an ex-officio member, from office if—
8. Filling of casual vacanciesWhenever the office of a member becomes vacant before the expiry of the term provided in section six or he is removed under section seven, the relevant appointing authority under section five shall appoint another person to be a member and that person shall hold office for the remainder of the period during which the member whose place he fills would, but for his office becoming vacant, have continued in office.
9. Functions of Council
10. Powers of Council
11. Associate bodiesThe following shall be associate bodies of the Council:
12. Proceedings of Council
13. Committees of Council
14. Disclosure of interest
15. Immunity of members and staffNo action or other proceedings shall lie or be instituted against any member, member of a committee of the Council or of the Board or member of the staff of the Council for or in respect of any act or thing done or omitted do be done in good faith in the exercise or purported exercise of his duties under this Act.
Part III – Administration
16. Executive Board
17. Director and Deputy Director
18. Secretary and other staff
19. Provincial Sports Advisory Committees
20. District Sports Committees
21. Conditions applicable to members of CommitteesThe Council shall determine, with the prior approval of the Minister—
22. Prohibition of publication or disclosure of information to unauthorised persons
Part VI – Registration of national sports associations[Please note: numbering as in original.]
23. Registration of national sports associationsThe Director shall keep and maintain in the prescribed form a register in which he shall register every national sports association in Zambia, and no association or organisation shall be considered to be a national sports association unless it is so registered.
24. Application for registration
25. Grounds for refusing to register national sports associationThe Director shall refuse to register any association as a national sports association if he is satisfied—
26. Cancellation of registrationThe Council may, at any time, cancel the registration of any national sports association if he is satisfied that it is expedient to do so on the ground that—
27. Notification of groundsWhere an application for registration as a national sports association is refused or its registration cancelled, the Director shall make and furnish to the body or association concerned a notice giving the reasons for such refusal or cancellation as the case may be.
Part V – Finance
29. Funds of Council
30. Sports Development FundThe Council shall establish and administer a fund to be known as the Sports Development Fund from which it may make grant to any association or to any individual sportsman.
31. Financial yearThe financial year of the Council shall be the period of twelve months ending on 31st December, in each year.
32. AccountsThe Council shall cause to be kept proper books of accounts and other records relating to its accounts.
33. Power to call for accounts
34. Annual report
Part VI – Miscellaneous
35. Independence of associationsExcept as otherwise provided in this Act, the Council shall not interfere with the day-to-day administration or internal affairs of an association.
36. General appeals to MinisterAny association or any person aggrieved by a decision of the Council, may not later than thirty days from the receipt of such decision, appeal against that decision to the Minister, and thereupon the Minister may either confirm, set aside or vary the Council's decision, or make such other order as he thinks fit, and the decision of the Minister shall be final.
37. Dissolution of national sports association
38. Vesting of property in Council
39. Staff of Department of Sports
40. RegulationsThe Minister may, by statutory instrument, make regulations for the better carrying into effect of the provisions of this Act, and in particular, but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such regulations may prescribe—
History of this document
31 December 1996 this version
30 December 1988