National Road Safety Council Act, 1995
- Commenced on 29 December 1995
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. TitleThis Act may be cited as the National Road Safety Council Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Chairperson" means the person elected Chairperson under section five;"committee" means a committee established under section ten;"Council" means the National Road Safety Council established under section three;"Deputy Director" means the person appointed Deputy Director of the Council under section thirteen;"Director" means the chief executive officer appointed by the Council under section thirteen;"Highway Code" means the code prescribed by the Minister which contains directions as appear to him to be proper for the guidance of persons using roads;"member" means a member of the Council;"road" means any highway and any other road to which the public have access and includes any public place to which vehicles have access and any residential area, whether access to it is restricted or not, which is part of a local authority area;"traffic" includes a vehicle, pedestrian procession and marching troops and all animals being ridden, driven or led on the road; and"Vice-Chairperson" means the person elected Vice-Chairperson under section five.
Part II – The National Road Safety Council
3. Establishment of National Road Safety CouncilThere is hereby established the National Road Safety Council, which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to do all such acts and things as a body corporate may be law do or perform.
4. Seal of Council
5. Composition of the Council
6. Tenure of office and vacancy
7. Remuneration and allowancesA member shall be paid such remuneration or allowances as the Council may, with the approval of the Minister, determine.
8. Functions of Council
9. Proceedings of Council
10. Committees of Council
11. Disclosure of interest
Part III – Administration
12. Director and Deputy Director
13. Other staffThe Council may appoint, on such terms and conditions as it may determine, such consultants, administrative and other staff as it considers necessary for the performance of its functions under this Act.
14. Conditions of service of staff of CouncilThe conditions of service, or any alteration of such conditions of the Director, Deputy Director and all other staff of the Council shall be approved by the Minister before being effected.
15. Prohibition of publication or disclosure of information to unauthorised persons
Part IV – Financial and other provisions
16. Funds of Council
17. Financial yearThe financial year of the Council shall be the period of twelve months ending on 31st December in each year.
19. Annual Report
20. RegulationsThe Minister may, be statutory instrument, make regulations for the better carrying out of the provisions of this Act, and in particular, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing power, such regulations may prescribe—
21. Repeal of Part IA and Part IB of the Roads and Road Traffic ActPart IA and IB of the Roads and Road Traffic Act are hereby repealed.
History of this document
31 December 1996 this version
29 December 1995