Zambia Institute of Architects Act, 1995
- Commenced on 29 December 1995
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Zambia Institute of Architects Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"allied professional" means landscape architects, interior designers, urban designers or project or building managers;"committee" means a committee of the Council established under section sixteen;"Council" means the Council of the Zambia Institute of Architects constituted by section fourteen;"Disciplinary Committee" means the Disciplinary Committee established under section twenty-one;"foreign firm" means an architectural firm registered outside Zambia;"Honorary-Secretary" means a person elected Honorary-Secretary under paragraph two of the First Schedule;"Honorary-Treasurer" means a person elected Honorary-Treasurer under paragraph two of the First Schedule;"Institute" means the Zambia Institute of Architects established under section three;"Past President" means a person who has held the office of President before the commencement of this Act;"practising certificate" means a certificate issued under section thirty-two authorising a person to practise as an architect;"President" means a person elected President of the Council under paragraph two of the First Schedule;"Vice-President" means the person elected as Vice-President of the Council under paragraph two of the First Schedule;"profession" means the architectural and allied profession; and"registered architect" means a person registered under section twenty-eight and engages in the planning or supervision of, and erection or alteration of a building exceeding one hundred and twenty square metres.
Part II – The Zambia Institute of Architects
3. Establishment of InstituteThere is hereby established the Zambia Institute of Architects which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and of being sued in its corporate name, and with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to do all such acts and things as a body corporate may by law do or perform.
4. Functions of InstituteThe functions of the Institute shall be to—
5. Classes of membershipThere shall be five classes of membership of the Institute namely, corporate, honorary, life, foreign and student member.
6. Corporate member
7. Honorary memberThe President shall nominate any person to be an honorary member and that person shall be approved by the Council if he has—
8. Life memberA life member shall be—
9. Foreign memberA foreign member shall be a person who decides to practise the profession outside Zambia and, except for subsection (a) of section twenty-nine, qualifies to be a corporate member.
10. Student member
11. Designation of membersA member of the Institute shall be entitled to describe and designate himself as follows:
12. Member of Institute before commencement of Act to be member of Institute in corresponding classNotwithstanding section five any person who immediately before the commencement of this Act was a corporate member, honorary member, life member, foreign member, or student member, of the Institute, shall be deemed from the commencement of this Act to be a corporate member, honorary member, life member, foreign member or student member, respectively, under this Act.
13. Subscription fees
Part III – The Council of the Zambia Institute of Architects
14. The Council of the Zambia Institute of Architects
15. Functions of CouncilNotwithstanding the generality of section four, the Council shall—
17. Registration Committee
18. Functions of Registration Committee
19. Membership Committee
20. Functions of Membership Committee
21. Disciplinary Committee
22. Functions of Disciplinary Committee
23. Powers of Disciplinary Committee
24. Proceedings of Committees
25. Professional misconductA registered architect shall be guilty of professional misconduct if, in the course of his practice, he—
26. Penalties to be imposed by Disciplinary Committee
27. Appeals from Disciplinary Committee
Part IV – Registration of architects
28. Registration of architects
29. Qualification for registration of architects
30. Disqualification of architectsA person shall not qualify to be registered as an architect if—
31. Exemption from registrationExcept for heads of departments at an institution approved by the Council, the following shall not be required to comply with this Part:
32. Practising certificate and seal
33. Cancellation of practising certificate
34. AppealsA person aggrieved by a decision made by the Council under this Part may within thirty days appeal to the Minister.
35. Offences relating to practising certificate
36. Offences relating to registration
Part V – Miscellaneous
37. Professional feesA registered architect shall charge for professional services rendered at such rates as may be prescribed by the Minister, upon recommendation by the Council, by statutory instrument.
38. RegulationsThe Minister may, upon recommendation by the Council, make Regulations—
39. SavingsThe savings and transitional provisions in the Second Schedule shall apply in respect of the Institute, Council and other matters.
40. Repeal of Cap. 825 of the 1971 editionThe Architects and Quantity Surveyors Act is hereby repealed.
History of this document
31 December 1996 this version
29 December 1995