- Is amended by Zambia Law Development Commission (Amendment) Act, 2009
- Is amended by Zambia Law Development Commission (Amendment) Act, 2019
- Is amended by Zambia Law Development Commission (Amendment) Act, 2021
Zambia Law Development Commission Act, 1996
- Commenced on 1 April 1996
- [This is the version of this document as it was at 31 December 1996 to 30 August 2009.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Zambia Law Development Commission Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Commission" means the Zambia Law Development Commission established under section three;"Commissioner" means the person appointed as Commissioner under section five;"Chairperson" means the person appointed as Chairperson under section five;"Deputy Chairperson" means the person appointed as Deputy Chairperson under section five;"Deputy Director" means the person appointed as Deputy Director under section twelve;"Director" means the person appointed as Director under section twelve;"former Commission" means the Law Development Commission established under the repealed Act;"repealed act" means the Law Development Commission and Institute of Legislative Drafting Act.[Act No. 5 of 1974]
Part II – The Zambia Law Development Commission
3. Establishment of the Zambia Law Development CommissionThere is hereby established the Zambia Law Development Commission which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and of being sued in its corporate name, and with power, subject to the provisions of this Act, to do all such acts and things as a body corporate may by law do or perform.
4. Functions of Commission
5. Composition of Commission
6. Tenure of office
6A. Remuneration and allowancesA member shall be paid such remuneration or allowances as the Commission may, with the approval of the Minister, determine.[As amended by Act No. 38 of 1996]
7. Seal of Commission
8. Filling of casual vacancySubject to section seven, whenever the office of a member becomes vacant before the expiry of the term of office, the Minister may appoint another person to be a member in place of the member who vacates the office.
9. Proceedings of Commission
11. Disclosure of interest
Part III – The Directorate of the Commission
12. Director and Deputy Director
13. Secretary, Research Fellows and other staff
14. Prohibition of disclosure of information
Part IV – Financial provisions
15. Funds of Commission
16. Financial yearThe financial year of the commission shall be the period of twelve months ending on 31st December in each year.
18. Annual Report
Part V – Miscellaneous
19. Savings and transitional provisions
20. Transfer of staff
21. RegulationsThe Minister may, by statutory instrument, make Regulations for the better carrying out of the purposes of this Act.
History of this document
24 March 2021 amendment not yet applied
12 April 2019 amendment not yet applied
31 August 2009 amendment not yet applied
31 December 1996 this version
01 April 1996