Human Rights Commission Act, 1996
- Published in Government Printer publication on 12 December 1996
- Commenced on 17 March 1997 by Human Rights Commission Act (Commencement) Order, 1997
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 1996.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Human Rights Commission Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act unless the context otherwise requires—"appropriate authority" means the authority to whom a recommendation is made by the Commission under section thirteen;"appointed date" means such date as the President may appoint under section one;"Chairperson" means the person appointed as Chairperson under section five;"Commission" means the Human Rights Commission established under the Constitution;"Commissioner" means a person appointed Commissioner under section five;"Deputy Director" means a person appointed as Deputy Director under section eighteen;"Director" means the person appointed as Director under section eighteen;"Secretary" means the Secretary to the Commission referred to in section eighteen;"Staff" means the staff of the Commission appointed under section eighteen; and"Vice-Chairperson" means the person appointed as Vice-Chairperson under section five.
Part II – The Human Rights Commission
3. Extent of Commission's autonomyThe Commission shall not, in the performance of its duties, be subject to the direction or control of any person or authority.
4. Seal of Commission
5. Composition of Commission
6. Oath on appointment
7. Tenure of office and vacancy
8. Filling of casual vacancyIf the office of a Commissioner becomes vacant before the expiry of the term of office, the President, may, subject to ratification by the National Assembly, appoint another person to be a Commissioner, for the unexpired term, in place of the Commissioner who vacates the office.
9. Functions of CommissionThe functions of the Commission shall be to—
10. Powers of Commission
12. Sittings of the Commission to be publicThe Commission shall—
13. Recommendation by Commission
14. Proceedings of Commission
16. Disclosure of interest
17. Prohibition of disclosure of information to unauthorised persons
Part III – The Directorate of the Commission
18. Director, Deputy Director and other staff
19. Prohibition of disclosure of information by staff to unauthorised personsSection seventeen shall apply, with the necessary modifications, to the staff.
20. Immunity of Commissioners and staff
Part IV – Financial and other provisions
22. Funds of Commission
23. Financial yearThe financial year of the Commission shall be the period of twelve months ending on 31st December in each year.
25. Annual report
26. RulesThe Commission may, by statutory instrument, make rules for the—
27. RegulationsThe Commission may, by statutory instrument, make regulations for the better carrying out of the purposes of this Act.
History of this document
17 March 1997
31 December 1996 this version
12 December 1996
|Human Rights Commission (Practice and Procedure) Regulations, 2002||Statutory Instrument 22 of 2002|