Patents and Companies Registration Agency Act, 2020
Act 4 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette on 26 October 2020
- Assented to on 23 October 2020
- Commenced on 23 April 2021 by Patents and Companies Registration Agency Act (Commencement) Order, 2021
- [This is the version of this document from 26 October 2020.]
Part I – Preliminary provisions
1. Short title and commencementThis Act may be cited as the Patents and Companies Registration Agency Act, 2020, and shall come into operation on the date appointed by the Minister by statutory instrument.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Agency" means the Patents and Companies Registration Agency continued under section 3;"associate" has the meaning assigned to the word in the Anti-Corruption Act;[Act No. 3 of 2012]"Board" means the Board of the Agency established under section 6;"Chairperson" means the Chairperson of the Board appointed under section 6;"Deputy Registrar" means a person appointed as Deputy Registrar under section 17;"emoluments" has the meaning assigned to the word in the Constitution;[Cap. 1]"Emoluments Commission" means the Emoluments Commission established under the Constitution;[Cap. 1]"legally disqualified" means the absence of legal capacity as provided in section 4 of the Mental Health Act;[Act No. 6 of 2019]"Registrar" means the person appointed as Registrar under section 16;"relative" has the meaning assigned to the word in the Anti-Corruption Act;[Act No. 3 of 2012]"repealed Act" means the Patents and Companies Registration Agency Act; and"Vice-Chairperson" means the Vice-Chairperson of the Board elected under section 6.[Act No. 15 of 2010]
Part II – The Patents and Companies Registration Agency
3. Continuation of Agency
4. Seal of Agency
5. Functions of Agency
6. Board of Agency
7. Functions of Board
8. Delegation of functions and directions
9. Tenure of office and vacancy
10. Proceedings of Board
11. Committees of Board
12. AllowancesA member of the Board or any committee of the Board shall be paid allowances that the Emoluments Commission may, on the recommendation of the Minister, determine.
13. Disclosure of interest
14. Prohibition of publication or disclosure of information to unauthorised persons
15. Immunity of members of Board and staff of AgencyAn action or other proceedings shall not lie or be instituted against a member of the Board or a committee of the Board, or a member of staff of the Agency, for or in respect of any act or thing done or omitted to be done in good faith in the exercise or performance of any of the powers, functions or duties conferred under this Act.
17. Deputy Registrar, Secretary and other staff
18. Emoluments and other conditions of service of Registrar, Deputy Registrar, Secretary and other staff
Part III – Financial provisions
19. Funds of Agency
20. Financial yearThe financial year of the Agency is a period of twelve months ending on 31st December in each year.
21. Accounts and audit
22. Annual report
Part IV – General provisions
23. Immunity from execution of judgmentsWhere a judgment order is obtained against the Agency, execution, attachment or process of any nature shall not be issued against the Agency or against any property of the Agency, but the Agency shall cause to be paid out of its revenues an amount that may, by the judgment or order, be awarded against the Agency to the person entitled to that amount.
24. RegulationsThe Minister may, in consultation with the Agency, by statutory instrument, make regulations for the better carrying out of the provisions of this Act.
25. Repeal of Act No. 15 of 2010
History of this document
23 April 2021
26 October 2020 this version
23 October 2020